Keeping medications that are no longer in use may cause unwanted incidents or health risks, as well as hazards to the environment. Also, in 2007, over 250 thousand cases of improper medication usage was reported to the Poison Control Centers in the US. These are some of the vital reasons why proper drug disposal should be practiced. Through our prescription drug disposal program, we can help the community avoid instances of flushing down pills and harming our water supply, accidentally digesting expired medications, or using pills for illicit purposes.
Individuals and their families can return unused medications to our pharmacy as well.
What you may bring:
- Creams, ointments, lotions, and powders
- Pills, tablets, and capsules
- Products in their original prescription packaging
- Inhalers and nebulizer solutions
- Liquid medicines (not more than 4 oz)
What you should not bring:
- Sharps (i.e., syringes, lancets, etc.)
- Liquid medicines (not less than 4 oz)
- Durable medical equipment
- Home-based care products (i.e., rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, etc.)
- Controlled substances (i.e., Adderall, Vicodin, Demerol, Hydrocodone, MS Contin, etc.)
We are also reminding each and every member of the community to carefully check the specific disposal instructions that accompany every medication. Also, follow these steps for safer medication disposal:
- Never flush prescription drugs down any bathroom toilets unless specifically indicated by the medicine’s disposal directions.
- Place the medicines in a sealed bag, an empty can, or other kinds of containers to prevent leakage.
- Mix unused medications with coffee grounds, kitty litter, or other undesirable substances to make it less appealing to children, pets, and people who may be intentionally looking for disposed pharmaceuticals.
- Remove all significant information on the medication labels to hide your identity and protect the privacy of your personal health information.
To know more about how the prescription disposal program of Willowbrook Pharmacy/Compounding, do not hesitate to contact us.